Canadian Immigration 2021 – International Students

  • Home
  • Blog
  • Blog
  • Canadian Immigration 2021 – International Students
Canadian Immigration for International Students

Canadian Immigration for international students is driven by work experience and higher-paying jobs to make the transition after graduation. More and more international students are choosing to study in Canada, and the Canadian government views them as a promising source of labor.

According to the  Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada  (IRCC), the number of study permit holders have exponentially increased from 122,700 to 642,500 between 2000 and 2019.

It is estimated that 3 out of 10 international students who arrived in Canada after 2000 transitioned to permanent residency within 10 years since receiving their first study permit. This is according to a report by Statistics Canada, which detailed that half of the master’s degree students and six in 10 doctoral degree students made the transition within the same time period.

Canadian Immigration for International Students

International graduates who were enrolled in post-secondary education colleges are of particular interest. The number of these international graduates who first enrolled between 2010 and 2014 and who became permanent residents, more than doubled, compared with those who first enrolled between 2000 and 2004.

Post-secondary college programs may be easier to get into than university programs. It may suggest that an increasing number of international students come to Canada to pursue post-secondary education from these colleges for the chance to become permanent residents. Among international students who got their first study permit between 2010 and 2014, almost half (46 per cent) of people coming from India became permanent residents within five years, more than any other country. India is followed by Nigeria, with 30 per cent, and Vietnam, with 21 per cent.

International student graduates who worked during their period of study or after graduation were more likely (60 per cent) to become permanent residents.

Why The Canadian Govt  Wants You To Extend Your Stay In Canada?

International students are now an integral part of the Canadian population, which recently returned to pre-pandemic levels because of the return of international students and other immigrants back in the country.

There are multiple factors why international students are good candidates for the Canadian labor market and why the Canadian government wants you to extend your stay in Canada. This includes their relatively young age, their Canadian credentials, their proficiency in English or French, and in some cases, their Canadian work experience. It is also believed that they get integrated into their local communities and built social networks for themselves. As such, international students may have an advantage over permanent residents coming from abroad with foreign credentials and work experience.

How To Extend Your Stay In Canada After Graduation?

Most of the graduates from Canada are eligible to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and even applying for a PGWP extension. This is an open work permit that allows graduates of a designated learning institution (DLI) to work for any employer in Canada and gain invaluable Canadian work experience.

After a PGWP or PGWP extension, these graduates may be able to transition to permanent residence as they acquire enough Canadian work experience and points. Those with at least one year of work experience in Canada who can demonstrate proficiency in one of Canada’s two official languages (English or French) may be able to get permanent resident status through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Master’s and doctoral degree international graduates who have foreign experience, may opt to apply directly for permanent residence after graduating, rather than take the PGWP route.

Need Help To Extend Your Stay In Canada?

Planning to study in Canada? Interested in a Canada Student Visa and PGWP or PGWP extension?

Jet immigration with over 25 years of experience in assisting graduates and other candidates to extend their stay in Canada and apply for Canadian immigration, is rated amongst the best immigration consultancies in Ontario. Our experts at Jet Immigration can help you by:

  • Conducting a FREE Assessment and determining your eligibility for a Canada Study Permit Or PGWP Or PGWP extension.
  • PGWP refused? No worries the best immigration consultancy in Brampton is here to help you.
  • Suggest a customized action plan towards achieving your educational goals in Canada.
  • Facilitating the Student Visa, Study Permit, PGWP and PGWP extension Application Process.

Leave A Comment

+1 (437) 376-2255
Need Help? Chat with us